Back to Basics: Black Sandals
We can nearly taste Summer so it’s time to think about getting your toes out. In our opinion, there is nothing chicer than a pair of black sandals. They add a nonchalant elegance to any outfit both in the city and by the beach. As ever, choose a style to suit your existing wardrobe, that way you will wear them for years to come. If your style is minimal then a simple pair with thin, asymmetrical straps would be perfect. Do you adore Parisian chic? Ancient Greek’s classic lace up Grecian sandal looks cool with relaxed, rolled up denim. Are you into the boho look? Carrie Forbes’s hand woven slides help to ground your colourful folk blouses and dresses.
How to Care for your Sandals
- For leather styles, use a leather protector cream to keep your sandals in peak condition. Stains and dirt will be easy to remove thanks to the protective coating the cream gives. Try Cherry Blossom’s Eco Leather cream and a clean cloth.
- Regularly wipe your sandals to remove surface dirt that will discolour them over time.
- Some sandals can have very smooth soles that can cause you to slip over. Score them lightly in a grid design using a pair of scissors to add some grip.
- If you wear your sandals on the beach, make sure to give them a thorough wipe with a damp cloth to remove traces of sand or sea salt which can over time dissolve the stitching.
- If the leather soles become wet, leave them to dry outdoors in the shade.
- When not wearing, keep your sandals in a box or dust bag to prevent them from becoming squashed.
- Avoid getting natural raffia sandals wet as they are highly water absorbent.
- Clean natural raffia sandals using a soft brush (like an old toothbrush) or damp cloth.
Best Black Leather Sandals
Reformation have recently launched their long awaited in house range of sandals, having previously worked with other footwear brands. All of the styles are made from vegetable tanned or chrome free leather. The entire range fits seemlessly with the Reformation vibe of laid back Cali cool.
Carrie Forbes collection of hand woven raffia sandals are made to be cherished forever. Each pair is made by artisans in Morrocco, preserving their ancient weaving craft. We love these slides but you can also find high heels and mules in the collections.
D’arçé make all their sandals to order from kangaroo leather in Australia. Kangaroos are culled every year to maintain the natural habitat so their leather is very low impact. The simple thick straps and buckle will elevate your favourite tailored trousers or help to balance a pretty dress.
For well made, authentic Greek sandals, you can’t find much better than Ancient Greek Sandals. The collection is made locally in Greece by leather artisans. All of the leather is chemical free and designed to age beautifully. Wear with your favourite jeans and a shirt for a totally chic weekend style.
When searching for honestly made wardrobe basics, Everlane is our go to. These skinny strap 90’s style sandals are super comfortable. Check out the factory in Italy where this style is made, Everlane even give you a price breakdown so you know exactly what each section of the production process cost.
Disclaimer: The people and models in the images featured are not associated with The Vendeur and do not endorse it or the products shown. This post may contain affiliate links. Prices correct at time of publishing.