Back To Basics: Denim Shorts
As part of our back to basics series, we shine a spotlight on great wardrobe staples that are built to last. Because timeless basics are the most sustainable pieces you can buy.
At the height of Summer, you’ll always find us reaching for a pair of denim shorts. Much like owning the perfect pair of jeans, finding your perfect pair of shorts is just as affirming. First asses your body shape. Are you looking to emphasis your legs or waist? Do you want to draw attention away from a certain part of your body? Try on as many pairs as possible to find the style to suit you, but don’t be led by trends. Even the most fashionable style of the moment will only look silly if they don’t fit you properly.
Alternatively, if you own a pair of jeans that fit beautifully up top then why not make them into shorts? Our favourite way to shop denim shorts is to find a good vintage pair. Stores like Beyond Retro and Rokit have huge ranges in all shapes and sizes. Another option is to trawl your nearest vintage market to find a pair that works. Remember you’re looking for a good fit around the waist and hips. Length can be altered easily, either by yourself or a professional.
Caring for your Denim shorts
- Denim doesn’t need to be washed very often, if at all. So spot clean any little stains that appear. The Laundress Stain Removal Kit is handy for this exact use.
- Mud and other dirt usually comes off easily once dry. Just use a soft brush or old toothbrush to gently rub away.
- Air musty jeans by hanging them outside. Or for a quick fix, spritz them with a little freshening spray like Mr Black Denim’s Refresh Spray.
- Your shorts will benefit from less washing in the long run. However if you must wash, turn them inside out to avoid fading the dye and pop them on a cool wash at 30 degrees.
- Hand washing works just as well. Simply pop them in a sink of cold water and add a teaspoon of mild detergent. Leave them to soak before wringing them out and hanging to dry.
- Air dry your denim shorts, avoid tumble drying as it uses far too much energy.
Best Denim Shorts
Transparent US brand Everlane have introduced the short edition of their Cheeky jeans. The flattering high rise style looks great on most body shapes. We also love that this style is available in blue, light blue or black denim so you can choose the colour that works best for you.
For a modern take on a vintage classic, Mud Jeans have created this high waisted, long line leg style. Stone washing can be environmentally damaging but Mud have reduced the amount of water used to create them. Plus, they will take back your old denim once your done with it.
For some truly authentic vintage denim, you can’t do much better than Beyond Retro’s range. The Reworked collection is created from recycled clothing to create fresh new styles. Plus they have a huge range of styles and sizes so you’re bound to find the right fit for you.
The Duchess of Sussex’s favourite denim brand also make shorts. This pair from New Zealand based Outland Denim are chic with a rock n roll edge. Even better, Outland’s styles are made ethically by the womens cooperatives that they support.
We love that Boyish make great fitting denim using only BCI cotton and recycled cotton mixes. Their attention to detail whilst still making a perfectly nonchalent denim short ticks all the boxes. This pair is perfect for showing off your legs.
Disclaimer: The people and models in the images featured are not associated with The Vendeur and do not endorse it or the products shown. This post may contain affiliate links. Prices correct at time of publishing.