Back to Basics: Wool Coats
As part of our weekly ‘Back to Basics’ series, we are shining a spotlight on great wardrobe staples that are made to last. because timeless basics are the most sustainable pieces you can buy.
Now that the weather is officially Autumnal, we are turning our thoughts to stylish outerwear. In terms of great wardrobe staples, the wool coat wins hands down. We can’t think of a time when a wool coat hasn’t been the height of style and sophistication. Therefore we love a them in a neutral colour; black, navy and camel are all good options. But whatever colour you decide on, make sure it’s one you will come back to time and again. Another great thing about wool coats is that they look great worn oversize. This means you can layer separates beneath it, without disrupting the line of the coat. Add to this the amazing heat retaining properties of wool and you can’t go wrong.
Tips on Trend Led Dressing:
Try adding a belt to non belted styles to switch things up. We also love lengths of satin rope as a luxurious alternative to leather. You can find pretty much any colour you could ever want in a local Haberdashery.
Tips on Caring for your wool coat:
- Have it cleaned before and after a season of wear. Use an eco cleaning service that offers wet cleaning if you can. If you need ideas, try the services at Blanc Living
- During the Summer months, store it inside a sealed garment bag, on a decent wooden hanger. Anything too thin and you risk stretching the shoulders
- Use cedar balls to deter moths.
- In between professional cleans, treat any stains with spot cleaning. Also spritz it with a refresher spray. We like Clothing Mist, £19, Arket
- As your coat ages, make sure you have the lining replaced. We love doing this as it feels like an brand new coat.
- Replace buttons and zips to breath new life into your coat. New buttons can often give the coat an entirely different feel.
Best Autumn Wool Coats
Disclaimer: The people and models in the images featured are not associated with The Vendeur and do not endorse it or the products shown. This post may contain affiliate links.