Back to Basics: Best Autumn Blazers
Image: Mango Committed
As part of our weekly Back to Basics series, we are shining a spotlight on great wardrobe staples that are made to last. Because timeless basics are the most sustainable pieces you can buy.
The humble blazer is not just one part of your suit. It’s an exciting stand alone piece that can transform any outfit into something show stopping. Whatever your body shape, you can find something perfect to flatter or accentuate. For example, ladies with smaller chests can wear double breasted blazers, or blazers with lapel details. Those with bigger busts look great in single breasted jackets. We love longline blazers as they skim past your body in a way that flatters and creates length. Experiment with length; cropped blazers often look good over long slip dresses or tailored trousers. While a slightly longer cut adds a bit of style and drama to a simple outfit of jeans and a shirt.
While we love the timeless qualities of a black or navy blazer, why not experiment with colour and print? This winter, velvets and corduroys are still very wearable, and there is an unexpected yet wonderful comeback of tweeds and country feels.
Tips on Trend led dressing:
Pair with a matching trouser, suits are still very cool. If your blazer is long enough, try a belt to add a little unique touch.
Tips for caring for your blazer:
- Have it Eco Dry cleaned at the beginning and the end of the season.
- Use a soft bristled brush to remove dirt from wool blazers.
- A clothing refresher spray will breath new life into your blazer between dry cleaning appointments.
- When not wearing it, store in a hanging bag on a wooden hanger to ensure the shoulders don’t lose their shape.
- Don’t fold your blazer, the fabric needs space to breath so hang it in your wardrobe, always on a wooden hanger.
- If the lining becomes tired or damaged, take it to be relined to breathe some new life into it.
- To make your blazer more on trend, replace the buttons with something a little more jazzy. Sourcing chunky vintage gold buttons is always fun, they don’t even have to match.
- Invest in a small steamer, it’s a quick and easy way to make sure your blazer looks it’s best.
Best Blazers for Autumn
This Western Tuxedo Blazer is handmade in Italy and 100% Wool. It’s what comes to your mind when thinking about the iconic black blazer, but with a fresher feel: we love this modern twist on a timeless classic.
For something a little different, this blazer in Australian merino wool has a double-breasted low cut, nipped in at the waist to accentuate your curves. The buttons on the front give a military feel – if you don’t feel like opting for an ordinary design.
EMBER JACKET, £498.14, KITX
This velvet blazer is one trendy yet timeless item: with classic tailoring details and this wonderful redcurrant colour is a fortunate Autumn feel. Style it as you please to take your look from desk to dinner.
We love the plaid print of this organic two-buttoned cotton jacket from Mara Hoffman. It has an oversized fit with shoulder pads making it a great option to throw over a sweater and jeans combo
This made in Italy all-time classic is an investment piece with a country feel: you can style it with tonal knitwear and relaxed tailoring for a sophisticated weekend edit.
Disclaimer: The people and models in the images featured are not associated with The Vendeur and do not endorse it or the products shown. This post may contain affiliate links. Prices correct at time of publishing.